To begin your discussion, take a few moments and introduce yourself to your peers by providing a brief description of your hobbies, special interests, or other details to help us get to know you. Also, share your Ashford University degree program and your future career goals. You might revisit the goals you set in previous courses.
Additionally, read chapter 1, and answer the six true-false statements on your beliefs about interpersonal communication on page 3. Once you have completed the quiz, consider the following:
- How important is interpersonal communication? We have been communicating with others throughout our lives. We have casual conversations at work or the grocery store, in-depth conversations with friends or family, and interactions that include communication throughout much of our day. How do you use communication skills in your actions with others? Are there ever times when communication goes awry? Does communication just mean your use of words? What other things might be communicated beyond the content of your words? How might your culture, assumptions, or beliefs affect the way in which you communicate? How important would it be to communicate clearly when working in health and human services?
- Reflect- Think about your own beliefs and assumptions about interpersonal communication, especially as they relate to working with people in human services.
In addition to writing about yourself in your introduction, please respond to one of the two following sets of questions:
- Think about characters in television dramas or sitcoms that you have watched. What are some examples of effective communication (verbal and non-verbal) that you have observed? What are some examples of ineffective communication?
- Think about a time when you had to communicate with someone else. What are some examples of effective communication (verbal and non-verbal) that you engaged in? Conversely, what are some examples of ineffective communication you have engaged in? What were the consequences of this miscommunication?
DeVito, J. A. (2016). The interpersonal communication book (14th ed.). Retrieved from https://allaplusessays.com/order
- This text is a Constellation™ course digital materials (CDM) title.