The management team as well as your peers are happy with the work performed to this point:
- Setting up Intrusion Detection Systems and audit data.
- Defining and understanding vulnerabilities
- Identifying various attack mechanisms
- Creating a policy
The last and final step is to perform a vulnerability assessment against a workstation, server or combination and analyze the findings. Recommend the solutions to remediate any serious issues based on the established company policies.
It is important to know and understand the security posture of the devices attached to the network, as these might often be a step in a more sophisticated and multilevel attack of the infrastructure. An important step in the risk management process is to determine what vulnerabilities exist on these devices. Choose a vulnerability assessment tool and perform a vulnerability assessment against your target(s) in your environment, and report the findings. The information should include:
- A description about the tool used to perform the scan.
- A list of identified hosts (Obfuscate any specific IP addresses).
- The list of serious (on a scale of 1-5 (1 being the highest) report the 1 and 2 issues)
- Describe or list any false positive information.
- Discuss potential safeguards and remediation actions that could be implemented for each finding to reduce the risk.
At this point the Key Assignment Template is Complete. The following Sections should be completed, and ensure to incorporate any feedback previously received from the instructor and peer reviews:
- Title Page
- Table of Contents (Updated to reflect correct page numbers)
- Intrusion Tools and Techniques
- Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures
- Attack Methods
- Intrusion Detection System Policies
- Protective Measures
Add the discussion about the scan, the analysis and results and the remediation suggestions to the section titled: Protective Measures.